Lesson: 2 Kings 22:1-20; 23:1-3
1st Sunday of Advent
Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of our
hearts be acceptable to you, O Lord, our rock and our redeemer. Amen.
Discovery.
The dictionary defines the word as the act of finding
or learning something for the first time.
Last March I discovered that I wanted to participate
in a gap-year program.
I was attending a discernment retreat for those going
into ministry. One of the people in attendance happened to be Pastor Josh
Graber. Josh is the national director of Abundant Life Together (ALT for short)
which is an intentional living-learning community for young adults between the
ages of 18 and 25. After much discussion, at the end of the retreat, I decided
to apply for ALT as preparation for Seminary.
When Hilkiah is going around the temple, possibly
observing the renovations, he discovers something. He finds the book of the law.
This is the law that God gave to Moses for the people to follow once they
reached the Promised Land. The news reaches King Josiah and through his hearing
of scripture, he ushers in an age of renewal to the southern kingdom of Judah.
He does this by bringing Gods word back to the center
of their life together as a community.
In this story, scripture, Gods word, is the greatest
gift given.
Josiah is the most powerful person in the kingdom and
he is standing under the authority of the word. He leads the people into a time
of repentance and a time of renewing the covenant.
It had been 57 years since the people had heard of
Gods promises. Josiah’s grandfather and father abandoned the Lord by erecting alters
to false gods, practicing child sacrifice and defacing the Lords Temple in
Jerusalem. They forgot the words spoken in Deuteronomy 6:
“…take
care that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of the land of Egypt,
out of the house of slavery. The Lord
your God you shall fear; him you shall serve, and by his name alone you shall swear. Do not follow other
gods, any of the gods of the peoples who are all around you,
because the Lord your God, who is present with you, is a jealous God. The anger of the Lord your God would be
kindled against you and he would
destroy you from the face of the earth.”
Even though Gods people had forgotten Gods promise
given in scripture; God preserved the scriptures allowing them to be found in
Gods perfect time.
While I was in college, I was not really involved in a
faith community. None of the college ministries on campus felt right. I would
go to church with my family when I was home on a Sunday, but Sunday mornings
looked different in my dorm room. I created my own practice of singing hymns,
reading scripture and then reading my pastors sermon. This is how I nurtured my
faith during college. However, I discovered that I missed being supported by a
faith community. I have found this support in ALT.
Every week, as a cohort, we study scripture together.
I look forward to bible study because 1. I don’t know what text will be our
focus, 2. I enjoy finding out who will be leading the study and 3. I love that
everyone interprets scripture differently. Earlier this month Pastor Julie
Parsell led a study using 1 Samuel 16 when David is anointed king and Paul’s
letter to the Ephesians. Through these texts we learned that the creator is
still creating. He is working through us and in us. His work is never done.
Another way I have found support is through worship
both in the downtown Toledo community and as an ALT community.
When we are Toledo I attend Threshold. From my first
Sunday I felt welcomed and that my gifts were valued. I had sung harmonies for
the songs that morning. During the sharing of the peace a member came over to
say thank you. This feeling of welcome in the congregations we attend is
something as an ALT community that we appreciate.
When worshiping together as ALT, our time together is
often intimate. Most times it is my 5 compatriots, myself and Pastor Melissa.
We gather around the word and the table. During that time you can feel the Holy
Spirit moving in us and through us. It is a time in which many of us share our
innermost thoughts and fears. I personally have not felt closer to a group of
people than I do with the other ALT participants.
One way as a cohort we are discovering Toledo is
through food and art.
There are many great local restaurants walking
distance from our apartment. A place that we really enjoy is Home Slice Pizza
on South Saint Clair Street. The crust is thin and they have something for
everyone. I personally enjoy the potato pizza. The next time you are in
downtown Toledo, check it out!
We have been enjoying the Toledo art scene. Every day
we are immersed in art through the murals on the buildings and the architecture
itself. A hidden gem of Toledo is the Toledo Museum of Art which all of us love
to explore. The first time we went there as a group, we went to a glass blowing
demonstration. Our instructor was very knowledgeable about glass and the studio
glass movement. I enjoyed listening to him teach all while making a beautiful
piece of art.
Discovery.
That is what the season of Advent is about. The season
of preparation for Christ’s birth.
This Sunday marks the first Sunday of Advent.
What will you discover this Advent season?
Let us pray:
Spirit of love, who moves with creation, drawing the
threads to color and design, life into life, you knit our true salvation: Come,
work with us, and weave us into one.
Though we have frayed the fabric of your making,
tearing away from all that you intend, yet to be whole, humanity is aching: Come,
work with us, and weave us into one.
Great loom of God, where history is woven, you are the
frame that holds us to the truth, Christ is the theme, the pattern you have
given: Come, work with us, and weave us into one. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment