Lately I've been thinking a lot about transitions.
As humans, it seems like we are constantly going through periods of transition. Whether it's from teen to adult, high school to college, changing jobs or careers, transitions are everywhere and it is something we cannot escape no matter how hard we may try. I find that transition periods give one time and space to embrace the change which is occurring. Sometimes (depending on the situation) you may not be excited in the beginning about the change going on, but when the excitement does come from the transitioning...it overflows like a fountain.
Last fall I was preparing for graduation & life after college. I had been certain that I would be going onto Graduate School earning my Masters degree in either Historic Preservation or Museum Studies. During that summer and the previous semester I had been researching programs at some amazing schools, requesting information while also planning trips to visit some of the schools. This was my plan and I was sticking to it, however as the beginning of my final fall semester was approaching I was singing a different tune.
The fact of the matter is, in college, there are not any courses that teach you what to do/how to live now that you have your degree. This is not high school; this is real life. It scared the shit out of me. While I was losing confidence in my plan, it created space for me to listen for God's voice and see where the Holy Spirit would lead me.
I came home one weekend in September to attend a close family friends service of ordination. He went into Seminary as a second career person who had spent most of his life being a doctor. The entire service was very moving and I was able to reunite with others. One part of the service which sticks out in my mind clearly was when our synods bishop spoke. He said something along the lines of pray for those who may be in this room right now and are considering the call to be a pastor. I turned my head and a friend was pointing right at me saying "He's talking about you." Right then all of my confusion about what to do after graduation disappeared. I know the path I have chosen isn't easy, but it is one I will enjoy.
Skip ahead to this past March. I was fully engaged in preparing for Seminary with the hopes of starting school in August/September. One of the things my synod asks of potential Seminary students (no matter your chosen path of study) is to attend a discernment retreat weekend. It was during this time that I discovered I should take time to discern my chosen path and do some self-discovery.
There was a presentation given about gap-year experiences which the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) recognizes. One of these programs is Abundant Life Together (ALT) which is for young adults between the ages of 18 - 25 who live and serve together in intentional community for 9 months. During the 9 months, participants live in intentional community by living and serving together. This includes participating in bible study, volunteering at different community program sites and learning about the city in which we live. Giving this presentation was Pastor Josh Graber who is the National director of ALT. I was blessed to be in conversation with him about potentially participating in the program and sent in my application soon after.
To be frank, transitions are so damn difficult no matter how much you are excited and/or looking forward to it. When I received my acceptance packet in the mail, it felt like I was receiving a letter from Hogwarts! But with that excitement there was also dread.
My mind kept saying: "How are you going to raise funds for this?" "You have student loans stupid! If you're lazy, the loan people will come after you!!!!" "What are people going to think of you?!?!" "You are literally a crazy person!"
That's when the sensible side of my mind kicked in and overpowered the freaking out side by saying: "You are one of the smartest 23 year-olds, not many would take a leap of faith like this." "Giving yourself time for growth and reflection is a wise life choice." "Who cares what others think!!!! This is your life own it." "Fight the stigmas and stereotypes associated with what others believe you are doing. Be a witness."
Myself and the other five (5) participants have been living together for a little over a month now. I feel that each of us knows it is alright to be vulnerable and show a side of ourselves we do not enjoy. In my opinion, vulnerability is an ever present component in times of transition. One is almost forced out of their comfort zone and encouraged to create a new support group.
I am blessed to have 5 new friends! I have been learning a lot about myself and growing for the better.
Everyday I thank God for this time to prepare for my Seminary transition. I already am beginning to feel that my next transition may not be as difficult...but who knows?!?! Ask me how I feel in June/July! hahaha
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you would like to support me in my journey through ALT, prayer is always welcome and appreciated! If you feel inclined to support me financially, please visit gofund.me/elizabeth_altyear
To be frank, transitions are so damn difficult no matter how much you are excited and/or looking forward to it. When I received my acceptance packet in the mail, it felt like I was receiving a letter from Hogwarts! But with that excitement there was also dread.
My mind kept saying: "How are you going to raise funds for this?" "You have student loans stupid! If you're lazy, the loan people will come after you!!!!" "What are people going to think of you?!?!" "You are literally a crazy person!"
That's when the sensible side of my mind kicked in and overpowered the freaking out side by saying: "You are one of the smartest 23 year-olds, not many would take a leap of faith like this." "Giving yourself time for growth and reflection is a wise life choice." "Who cares what others think!!!! This is your life own it." "Fight the stigmas and stereotypes associated with what others believe you are doing. Be a witness."
Myself and the other five (5) participants have been living together for a little over a month now. I feel that each of us knows it is alright to be vulnerable and show a side of ourselves we do not enjoy. In my opinion, vulnerability is an ever present component in times of transition. One is almost forced out of their comfort zone and encouraged to create a new support group.
I am blessed to have 5 new friends! I have been learning a lot about myself and growing for the better.
Everyday I thank God for this time to prepare for my Seminary transition. I already am beginning to feel that my next transition may not be as difficult...but who knows?!?! Ask me how I feel in June/July! hahaha
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you would like to support me in my journey through ALT, prayer is always welcome and appreciated! If you feel inclined to support me financially, please visit gofund.me/elizabeth_altyear
No comments:
Post a Comment